1920s – The Children’s Center was founded in 1929.
1930s – We started the Boarding Home Program, a forerunner of foster care, and school social work services, piloting satellite mental health programs in public schools.
1940s –During the war years, The Children’s Center assisted with the evaluation of potential service personnel. As the 1940s ended, we identified two major needs: the addition of psychiatrists to the staff and research into the emotional problems in children.
1950s – In 1958, the Downriver Child Guidance Clinic was established, the first branch of The Children’s Center.
1960s – In the early 1960s, The Children’s Center founded additional satellite mental health centers. On May 14, 1969, a dedication ceremony was held for our new headquarters on East Alexandrine.
1970s – The Children’s Center focused on expansion from one outpatient program to a continuum of services, including Children’s Day Treatment and Adolescent Day Treatment.
1980s – In this decade, our portfolio grew to include 22 programs. Our Specialized Foster Care Program was voted Michigan’s “Innovative Program of the Year” in 1986.
1990s – During this era we were distinguished twice as one of Detroit’s “Best Managed Non-Profits” by Crain’s Detroit Business. We received international recognition for our specialized program for sexually abused children. We also started our Adoption Program and completed our $6 million capital campaign and the construction of our new facility on West Alexandrine.
2000s – In 2001, we were honored as “A Heritage Organization” and made fundraising history in Detroit, raising more than $4 million in one evening at the “Impact at Ford Field” event. This decade also saw the opening of the Paul D. Marsh Building and the Tau Beta Center for Discovery.
In 2011, our CEO was honored as by the Who’s Who in Black Detroit for her leadership and dedication to improving the lives of children in the City of Detroit.
Also in 2011, Disability Awareness Night (DAN) recognized The Children’s Center for its extraordinary achievements and the perseverance and dedication of the families, physicians, nurses, therapists, educators and other caregivers involved in their care and development.
In 2012, The Children’s Center was acknowledged by Detroit Public Schools as one of the top 11 suppliers recognized from extraordinary quality services, community collaboration, efficiencies, and cost effectiveness.
The Children’s Center offers one of the most comprehensive arrays of programs of any front-line child and family services agency in the country. We are more committed than ever to meet the needs of today’s children.
The Children’s Center has the honor of being supported by a myriad of committed volunteers, individuals, and corporations and foundations. We are committed more than ever to meet the needs of today’s children.